Sunday, January 1, 2012

Paedatrics Posting

Even before I met H, I had already heard about him. My friends were "complaining" about him, saying he had a "bad record" with the other patients and their parents. His misdeeds were also recorded in his case notes. I also heard him using swear words freely. Though this is common, to hear it coming from a 12 year old is really quite shocking for me.

Thus, when he came over to my cubicle to find my patient, I was not too happy about it. Even when he tried to interact with me by asking me to play cards with him, I would find excuses to reject him. As I felt guilty, I agreed to play with him eventually. However, throughout the game, I was uneasy as he kept using swear words AND asking my patient to do the same. He even scolded other patients who were in the play area as well. I tried my best to steer clear of him and also hoped that he would leave my patients alone. I know I was wrong to be prejudiced against him and this is not how a nurse should behave.

Later, I found out that he is actually quite pitiful. His mother was non-existent and his father beat him frequently. This was what caused him to be hospitalized in the first place. I also heard his aunt intended to bring him overseas after he was discharged.

On my last day there, I realized that I actually cared about what happened to him. We would definitely never meet again but I hoped he would (and I told him this too) take care of himself. If no one cares for him, then all the more he should treat himself better and stay away from the "bad side"...

Back to Reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment